This program is designed to create community-based teams of trusted messengers to act as liaisons between the OFOV campaign and target communities. The liaisons would meet with CLSJ as community reps to discuss concerns, findings, and practical strategies for action as they relate to the needs identified within their communities. Community members would then meet collectively with other messengers from other target communities to discuss common strategies, concerns, and findings as they relate to community needs in order to build the foundation for wider grassroots coalitions between communities. This program would be an opportunity for leadership development/training among a wider audience of community members that will help nurture political power within NYC communities of African descent. This program would also help amplify our campaign efforts by forming a direct line of connection with community members interested in community advocacy and involvement with CLSJ as volunteers.
1. Build coalition/partnership with at least 10 influential community members to help enhance organizing & outreach efforts.
2. Develop Community Leaders with 3 targeted communities of African descent
3. Establish Citywide Messenger Meetings to connect leaders in communities of African descent with one another over actionable discussion.
Specifications – What do we need to make it happen?
1. List of Council District based target communities where we will seek trusted messengers
2. List of institutions & influencers in target communities as potential messengers
3. Trusted messenger training guide
4. Sign Up Form
5. Meeting Space for Citywide Meetings & Material Distribution
6. Distributions Materials & OFOV Swag
I. 5 Trusted Messengers
By attaining 5 trusted messengers across multiple districts, we will be able to increase relational organizing & volunteer base of community influencers that can be mobilized in support of CLSJ outreach & programming efforts.
II. 2 Central Target Communities
By building connections with 2 communities, we will be able to expand the ability of CLSJ to reach multiple communities across NYC & be able to further the OFOV campaign in more substantial ways beyond Brooklyn. Ideally this could be one messenger group in Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, & Harlem that helps provide info, conduct outreach, and organize more effective OFOV programming.
III. 3 Citywide Messenger Meetings
During Citywide Messenger meetings, we will be able to discuss, analyze, & organize common experiences, issues, and strategies existing in various NYC communities of African descent. This will allow us to create more holistic methods for enacting programming & outreach for the OFOV campaign.